Uphill Lincoln I: Burton Road, Newport & the Ermine Estate

This booklet considers the development of part of uphill Lincoln - the north west segment bounded by Yarborough Road, the north of Burton Road, the A46 bypass, Nettleham Road, Church Lance, Rasen Lane and Carline Road.

The work examines both the residential development and industrial growth of the area from Roman times to the beginning of the 21st century. Chapters range from the Roman occupation and the appearance of medieval suburbs to residential growth in the 19th and 20th centuries, including the extensive post-war development of the Ermine Estate. The changing attitudes towards institutions in society is revealed in chapters exploring churches and chapels, the asylum, workhouse, military barracks and the home for penitent females

ISBN 978-0-9538650-4-8 £5.95 Reprinted 2016.

Stockists of this title should include:

The Survey of Lincoln (by email)

Waterstones (High Street, Lincoln)

Jews Court Bookshop, Lincoln.

Kay Books Online

Lincolnshire Archives

Lindum Books (4 Bailgate, Lincoln)

Di & Saul Books (Hook, Goole)

Extract from the chapter:

The Barracks by Andrew Walker

Burton Road is unusual in accommodating two building complexes which have served as military barracks. The older of the two sets of barracks is now the home of the Museum of Lincolnshire Life. The main structure was built in 1857 in order to accommodate the Royal North Lincoln Militia, which was housed in the building until 1880. Plans for the construction of this were made during the Crimean War, and were prompted in part by the Militia Act of 1852, which brought about a significant reorganisation of Britain’s military provision. From 1880, these barracks continued to be used by the military until 1969, when the complex reopened as a private museum, run by the Lincolnshire Association. In 1974, the museum became administered by the newly-formed Lincolnshire County Council’s Museum Service.

The militia barracks, for the northern division of the county of Lincolnshire, were built from plans by Henry Goddard, who had the previous year overseen the design of the Canwick Road cemetery and was, later, in 1861, to restore the nave and north aisle of St Botolph’s church on Lincoln’s High Street. The construction work cost approximately £6000. The large red-brick quadrangular building at the heart of the barracks was capable of containing over 1000 stand of arms. The quadrangle behind the front elevation was 82 yards in length and 36 yards wide. Offices and a ‘spacious drill shed’ were constructed on the south side of the quadrangle, and, on the north side, quarters for six serjeants and their families were erected.

In 1866, additional building work took place. New quarters for the militia’s permanent staff were built on Mill Road, and a detached residence for the adjutant was constructed on Long Leys Road on land within the barracks complex. This work had been heralded five years earlier in a Stamford Mercury report on 22 November 1861 which declared that: Mr Goddard has been employed the last few days in drawing up plans and specifications for the new buildings to be erected at the Militia barracks, by which the entire staff will be accommodated there instead of a large portion being distributed over the city. According to the newspaper report, the construction work was to begin in the following year and would include the construction of housing not only for the adjutant, but also the quartermaster and upwards of twenty sergeants, on the west side of the complex, ‘where there is plenty of room for them’.

By 1879, the militia barracks were clearly not being used to their full capacity. According to a report in the Stamford Mercury of 26 December, part of the barracks had been: taken by the Guardians of the Lincoln Union for the accommodation of indoor paupers and it will in all probability be required by them until the enlargement of their present workhouse is completed, the number of paupers having greatly increased of late.

From 1880 until 1920, the barracks were home to the Lincolnshire Yeomanry. Members of the Yeomanry were volunteers, often comprising men such as farmers and landowners, who were recruited as a military territorial force. The yeomanry was a volunteer cavalry and its members were expected to provide their own horses.

End of extract