Uphill Lincoln I: Burton Road, Newport & the Ermine Estate
- NEIGHBOURHOOD BOOKLET SERIES
- Wigford: Historic Lincoln South of the River
- Lincoln’s West End: A History
- Monks Road: Lincoln's East End through Time
- Uphill Lincoln II: The North-Eastern Suburbs
- South-East Lincoln: Canwick Road, South Common, St Catherine’s and Bracebridge
- Brayford Pool: Lincoln's Waterfront Through Time
- Boultham & Swallowbeck: Lincoln's South Western Suburbs
- Birchwood, Hartsholme and Swanpool: Lincoln’s Outer South-Western Suburbs
- Lincoln's Castle, Bail & Close
- Lincoln's City Centre: North of the River Witham
- City Centre South
This booklet considers the development of part of uphill Lincoln - the north west segment bounded by Yarborough Road, the north of Burton Road, the A46 bypass, Nettleham Road, Church Lance, Rasen Lane and Carline Road.
The work examines both the residential development and industrial growth of the area from Roman times to the beginning of the 21st century. Chapters range from the Roman occupation and the appearance of medieval suburbs to residential growth in the 19th and 20th centuries, including the extensive post-war development of the Ermine Estate. The changing attitudes towards institutions in society is revealed in chapters exploring churches and chapels, the asylum, workhouse, military barracks and the home for penitent females
ISBN 978-0-9538650-4-8 £5.95 Reprinted 2016.
Stockists of this title should include:
The Survey of Lincoln (by email)
Waterstones (High Street, Lincoln)
Waterstones (Exchange Arcade, Cornhill, Lincoln)
Jews Court Bookshop, Lincoln.
Lindum Books (4 Bailgate, Lincoln)
Pennells Garden Centres (North Hykeham)
Lincs Co-op (Burton Road)