South-East Lincoln: Canwick Road, South Common, St Catherine’s and Bracebridge
South-East Lincoln: Canwick Road, South Common, St Catherine’s & Bracebridge
This volume in the Survey of Lincoln’s booklet series contains chapters examining the buildings and structures of the south-eastern part of the city. It covers an area ranging from the industrial engineering works of Clayton and Shuttleworth in the north through to Bracebridge Low Fields in the south. The district covered also includes the Sincil Bank residential area, South Park, South Common, St Catherine’s, Newark Road, and Bracebridge.
The district explored adjoins those covered in two earlier volumes in the series, Wigford: Historic Lincoln South of the River, and Monks Road: Lincoln's East End Through Time.
The booklet explores a wide time frame from the prehistoric period through to the early 21st century. Various chapters focus upon the industries which were located in the area from industrial engineering and gas works to food processing. A wide range of housing is explored, form the workers’ homes of the Sincil Bank area to the grander Bracebridge Hall. Transport featured prominently in the area: chapters on railways and trams and the buildings and structures associated with them are included. Drainage is an important feature in the district and is given due attention. Leisure activities are also considered: Lincoln City’s football ground is located at the heart of the district and the various recreational uses of the South Common are examined, including the agricultural shows, fairs and circuses that have appeared temporarily on the site. Places of worship and containment, such as a hospital for lepers, and final resting places are also investigated.
ANDREW WALKER Introduction
MICHAEL J. JONES Archaeology of the south-eastern suburbs
CHRIS JOHNSON The Hospital of the Holy Sepulchre
ANN YEATES-LANGLEY The Malandry
MAURICE HODSON Eastwards from Swan’s Paddock
ROB WHEELER Housing development between Sincil Dyke and Canwick Road
MARY LUCAS AND RICHARD LUCAS St Catherine’s: the birth of a Victorian suburb
CHRIS PAGE Chartist housing on Brant Road
GEOFF TANN From Bracebridge Hall to Grosvenor Hall
CHRIS JOHNSON Canwick Road and Robey’s
MIRIAM SMITH The growth and decline of the manufacturing firm of Clayton &Shuttleworth
KEN REDMORE The Bracebridge Gasworks
GEOFF TANN Number 255 Newark Road: Walker’s Snack Foods/Smith’s Crisps Factory/Herring’s Nurseries
STEWART SQUIRES The Lincoln to Grantham Railway
DAVE WATT Map of the district
MAURICE HODSON ‘High Street to Bracebridge for one penny’: Lincoln’s trams, 1882-1929
STEWART SQUIRES Bridges in the neighbourhood
ROB WHEELER Drainage in the neighbourhood: the importance of Sincil Dyke
ARTHUR WARD Places of worship in the neighbourhood
DEREK BROUGHTON The Canwick Road cemeteries and crematorium
GEOFF TANN Account by C.W. Pennell concerning pollution damage to the Pennell’s Lowfields Nursery, 1894
DONALD NANNESTAD Sincil Bank stadium
ANDREW WALKER Agricultural shows, circuses & fairs on the South Common, 1854 to the present
NIGEL HORNER Park, Lincoln South and St Catherine’s: fusions and futures
£6.95 ISBN 978-0-9538650-6-2
Stockists of this title should include:
The Survey of Lincoln (by email)
Waterstones (High Street, Lincoln)
Jews Court Bookshop, Lincoln.
Lindum Books (4 Bailgate, Lincoln)
If you would be interested in selling copies of this booklet at your shop or workplace, please email Geoff Tann at firstname.lastname@example.org.