6. Reading Lists
SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION ON THE LINCOLN BUILDING APPLICATIONS DATABASE, 1866-1952
Reading Lists reporting research using the Lincoln Building Applications
Chapters in the Survey of Lincoln’s Neighbourhood Booklet Series edited by Andrew Walker, published by the Survey of Lincoln (for details go to Lincoln Neighbourhood Booklet Series home page)
Brook, Shirley, ‘Animal houses in the West End’, Lincoln’s West End: A History, 2008, pp. 15-18.
Mills, Dennis, ‘St Giles’ Avenue’, Uphill Lincoln II: The North-Eastern Suburbs, 2010, pp. 44-46.
Walker, Andrew, ‘Victorian housing development’, Monks Road: Lincoln’s East End Through Time, 2006, pp. 49-52.
Walker, Andrew, ‘Plotting the nineteenth- and twentieth-century residential development of Lincoln’s West End’, Lincoln’s West End: A History, 2008, pp. 11-14.
Walker, Andrew, ‘Carline Road’, Uphill Lincoln I: Burton Road, Newport and the Ermine Estate, 2009, pp. 55-57.
Walker, Andrew, ‘ Doddington Road and Swallowbeck: an example of middle-class residential development’, Boultham and Swallowbeck: Lincoln’s South-Western Suburbs, 2013, pp. 51-56.
Lincoln Building Applications Project: 1866 - 1952
DATABASE (revised 2020)
References found to the Applications in issues of The Lincoln Enquirer, published by the Survey of Lincoln (for details go to the the Newsletter Home Page)
Mills, Dennis, The Building of Monson Street’, 13, November 2007, pp.4-5; small number of references 1886-1930, additions and alterations to the original building.
Hollamby, Ken, ‘Queensway, Curle Avenue, and Geralds Close’, Lincoln Enquirer, 20, May 2011, pp.8-10; this area had been the Monks Manor estate, of which there is a plan of the street lay-out intended. This article was a continuation of KH’s piece with the same title, in Uphill Lincoln II: The North-Eastern Suburbs, Survey of Lincoln, 2010, pp.33-34.
Walker, Andrew, ‘Workers’ housing between Sincil Dyke and Canwick Road, c.1870-1914’, 22, May 2012, pp.2-3; references to the Plans focus on builders in the area in late 19th century; there is a plan of 1899 showing detail for nine houses in Kirkby Street. Builders were identified in trade directories, and selected names were then searched for in the database spreadsheet.
Mills, Dennis and Thorpe, Victoria, ‘The clerical Swans, the building of bridges, and the peopling of the Bargate Closes’, 33, May 2017, pp.2-5.
A round-up of other references includes:
Mills, Dennis, ‘William Watkins’ House and the Lincoln Register of Plans of Buildings’, Lincolnshire Past and Present, 63, Spring 2006, pp.3-6. This concerns 61 Steep Hill, which appears to bear the initials WW indicating a connection with William Watkins, Lincoln’s leading architect of the day. Study of the application form showed that the initials were not WW, but WV for William Vickers, who made the application in 1867. The article includes a block plan and the front elevation, the latter revealing that the house built by Vickers does not have an elevation consistent with the application!
Mills, Dennis and Wheeler, Rob, ‘Interpreting the 1:2500 County Series’, Sheetlines , 78, April 2007, 45-48 (journal of the Charles Close Society for the Study of OS Maps). A comparison of the Technical School area in Monks Rd as seen on the second series sheet LXX.7 and two plans from the Register related to the temporary buildings used by the builders Halkes Bros, on the site of the school extension of 1908.
Mills, Dennis, ‘The Lincoln Register of Plans of Buildings as a Family History Source: the example of St Giles’ Avenue’, Lincolnshire Family History Society Journal, 19 (3), May 2008, 81-86.
Forthcoming and in an advanced state of preparation [May 2017]:
Mills, Dennis and Thorpe, Victoria, ‘John Swan and Stonefield House’ and ‘John Swan of Stonefield House, Church Lane, Lincoln (1831-1907): solicitor, dairy farmer, urban developer and brick manufacturer, and Volunteer officer’. The Building Applications have been especially useful in respect of the dairy farm, as that was how we discovered it, and were also prompted to search for information in the Lincolnshire Chronicle, finding five substantial items.