City Centre South

Lincoln’s City Centre South of the River Witham:

From High Bridge to South Park

 Editor: Andrew Walker

Now available from £6.95                                   

 

CONTENTS

 

ANDREW WALKER Introduction

ALASTAIR MACINTOSH Recent archaeological investigations in Wigford

ARTHUR WARD Nonconformist chapels and meeting houses of other denominations

ARTHUR WARD Anglican places of worship

GEOFF TANN St Botolph’s Parish Hall, 39b High Street

PAUL HICKMAN Some nineteenth-century Wigford nuisances

ROB WHEELER St Mark’s Station

BERYL GEORGE ‘The folly of our forefathers’: The High Street level crossings

DAVE WATT Map of the district

RUTH TINLEY Lincoln Corn Exchange

MIRIAM SMITH High Street gateway to Boultham Hall

CHRIS PAGE Mills in the parish of St Peter-at-Gowts

ROB WHEELER Great Gowts – a forgotten ford

MAURICE HODSON Four bridges and Sincil Dyke

HAZEL KENT Schools

MAURICE HODSON Napoleon Place

ANDREW WALKER Residential development, c. 1875-1939

ANDREW JACKSON & HAZEL KENT The Lincoln Co-operative Society and the lower High Street

 

This 64 page volume in the Survey of Lincoln neighbourhood series examines an area of the city closely associated with the southern High Street, bounded at the north by High Bridge and at the south by South Park. The area covered extends west to the River Witham, as it runs parallel to the High Street and to the east by Sincil Dyke.

 

The booklet focuses upon the buildings and structures within the neighbourhood, ranging across time from the Roman period to the later twentieth century. As this volume makes clear, this part of the city has played a vital part in accommodating its workers over time. Employment has been provided in a variety of occupations, in mills, workshops, retail and wholesale businesses and railway-related activities. Large quantities of workers’ housing is also in evidence and the district’s schools, places of worship and associated buildings are all examined here.

 

Together, the various chapters reveal how an exploration of the neighbourhood’s buildings and structures can shed light on the social, economic and cultural lives of its inhabitants. This is a companion volume to the Survey of Lincoln’s first neighbourhood publication, Wigford: Historic Lincoln South of the River.

 

For further details or to order copies, please email Geoff Tann at solsecretary@gmail.com .  

ISBN 978-0-9931263-2-1


Stockists include:

Waterstones (Cornhill, Lincoln)

Waterstones (High Street, Lincoln)

Lindum Books (Bailgate)

Jews Court Bookshop (foot of Steep Hill, Lincoln)

Ruddocks Stationers (High Street, Lincoln)

Kay Books Online


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Correction:
P. 14 Nonconformist Chapels And Meeting Houses Of Other Denominations
second paragraph should read:   In 1913 (Date-stone), a Congregationalist Sunday School/Lecture Hall was erected ...... 
Arthur Ward adds:  In 1888, on a site north of the present 1913 building, was erected a iron building (tin tabernacle), following the clearance of six houses.  This was paid for by Joseph Ruston and erected under the supervision of architect, William Mortimer. 
The 1913 building became redundant in 1992/3.  It was designed by architect J C Broughton and built by builder, F S Highton (?).