SoL Projects:‎ > ‎

Projects: WWII Water Tanks in Lincoln

In our 2015 booklet Lincoln's Castle Bail and Close, Geoff Tann contributed the chapter entitled "Second World War Tanks for Uphill Lincoln" which considered the emergency static water tanks constructed to provide a water supply for fire-fighting purposes, especially in the event of incendiary and other bombs. 

The article noted that about 40 tanks had been constructed in the city, mostly uphill. The approximate locations of a few were mentioned in the article - further research has identified references to a few more but many remain unknown. This webpage aims to gather reference to as many of the tanks as possible - and to record any surviving traces of them. As they were designed to be dismantled, most may have left no trace. 

The numbering system used below is a temporary one. 


1.        Castle Square
See article; also
Lincs Echo 3/4/1941, p3; 17/6/1941, p11 (photo); 6/6/1945, p3 to be discontinued and for the retaining wall to be removed

2.        Deanery Garden, north-west of the cathedral, opposite James Street
Lincs Echo 29/7/1944, p3 tank had been sited in the vegetable garden of the Deanery

3.        Lawn area to north-east of the cathedral, between Eastgate and Priorygate
Lincs Echo 1/5/1945, p3 tank north of cathedral to remain

4.        Mount Street
Lincs Echo 6/6/1945, p3 - work had started on May 17th to cut trenches in the bottom of the tank to drain it

5.        County Hospital
Lincs Echo 1/5/1945, p3 water tank in hospital grounds to remain; 24/3/1947, p3 letter complaining that writer saw the tank emptied into sewer in March 1947 during floods
Fred Hurt 1991 Lincoln During the War, p112 photo of pipes

6.        Spring Hill School
See article

7.        College Close
Lincs Echo 24/4/1945, p4 child reported playing in the water tank sunk in waste ground in College Close

8.        Burton Road Hospital
Lincs Echo 1/5/1945, p3 tank to remain

9.        Longdales
Lincs Echo 1/5/1945, p3 tank to remain
10.      Arboretum pond

11.      St Nicholas' cemetery (corner of) /Manor Road
Lincs Echo 6/6/1945, p3 - work had started on May 17th to break up the concrete bottom and fill in the site at Manor Road; 23/3/1949, p5 tank at corner of St Nicholas' cemetery was breeding ground for frogs

12.      St Paul's Lane
Lincs Echo 12/10/1944, p3

13.      Hotel Central (former Black Goats, near High Bridge)
Lincs Echo 7/12/1944 500 gal tank in the yard of Hotel Central

14.

15.

16.

17.

18.

19.

20.

21.

22.

23.

24.

25.

26.

27.

28.

29.

30.

31.

32.

33.

34.

35.

36.

37.

38.

39.

40.

??