Table 3


NOTES SPECIFIC TO THE NUMBERED REFERENCES GIVEN IN TABLE 3 

1801 
This census is generally regarded as being deficient in many parts of the country. 
1. St Michael included Bishop’s Palace EPA. 
2. St Peter-in-Eastgate included 248 persons in the House of Industry, therefore normal residents 336. 
3. St Swithin. The Stamford Mercury for 21 June 1811 stated that the 1801 return was ‘probably not less than 300 below the actual number’ – Sir Francis Hill, Georgian Lincoln, 1966, p.182. 

1811 
1. St Michael included Bishop’s Palace EPA. 
2. St Peter-in-Eastgate included 113 persons in the House of Industry, therefore normal residents 343. 

1821 
1. St Michael included Bishop’s Palace EPA. 
2. St Peter-in-Eastgate included 120 persons in the House of Industry, therefore normal residents 333. 

1831 
1. St Michael included Bishop’s Palace EPA. 
2. St Peter-in-Eastgate included 101 persons in the House of Industry, therefore normal residents 404. There were eight persons in Cold Bath House EPA, among the 404. 

1841
1. St Michael included Bishop’s Palace EPA, and 101 persons in the Christ’s Hospital (Bluecoat) School and 40 in the County Hospital. 
2. St Peter-in-Eastgate included six persons in Cold Bath House EPA. There were 173 persons in the Union Workhouse, therefore normal residents 485. 
3. St Mary-le-Wigford included 31 persons in boats and tents. 
4. It was noted that there were no houses in Monks Liberty. 

1851 
1. St Michael included Bishop’s Palace EPA. There were 128 persons in the Christ’s Hospital (Bluecoat) School and 55 in the County Hospital. 
2. St Peter-in-Eastgate included 287 persons in Union Workhouse, therefore normal residents 713. It also included Cold Bath House EPA. 5. This population lived in the Toll Bar Cottage which was enumerated by the Canwick enumerator. See also the notes below on extra-parochial areas. 6. See also note 3 under 1891 re the union of St Nicholas and St John in 1841, ignored by the census authorities. 

1861 
1. As for 1851. 

1881 
2. St Martin included 86 persons in the County Asylum (The Lawn). 
6. See note (6) under 1891 which suggests that the population of the new prison, completed in 1872, was probably in St Nicholas at this date, where it is known to have been in 1891. 

1891 
* Pp.680 and 758 of the 1891 Census Report list the transfers made under the Divided Parishes Acts: Under 1882 Act, 24 March 1888 – Entire area of Holmes Common added to St Mary-le-Wigford to become St Mary and Holmes Common, 2 houses and 10 persons affected in 1891 census. From St Peter-in-Eastgate, 10 houses and 52 people transferred to St Margaret, 65 houses in two areas and 627 persons to St Paul. (The two areas were detached areas of the parish, the Union Workhouse and a further area near the row of City mills). Entire area of Castle Dykings EPA (45 houses and 179 persons) transferred to St Paul. From Monks Liberty EPA 3 houses and 15 persons transferred to St Peter-in-Eastgate (the affected part of this EPA is detectable through a comparison between Padley and Thropp (1883) and the first edition Ordnance Survey 25-inch plan (surveyed in 1887). Under 1882 Act, no date given, 1 house and 4 persons from St Nicholas to St Peter. 
3. This population was in the County Hospital in a detached area of St John. The union of St Nicholas and St John had occurred by Order in Council, 4 June 1841 (Lincs. Archives, Faculty Book 5, p.433). However the census authorities ignored this until 1891 when they probably added the Newport portion of St John to St Nicholas. 
4. St Martin included 105 persons in the County Asylum (The Lawn). 
5. St Mary-le-Wigford and Holmes Common included three persons in the Small Pox Hospital on Holmes Common. 
6. St Nicholas included 262 in the Barracks (there were two Barracks at this date) and 156 persons in the Prison, therefore normal residents numbered 4,982. 
7. St Paul included 312 in the Workhouse, therefore normal residents 1,262. 

1901 
* See under 1891. 
3. This population was in the County Hospital in a detached area of St John, 82 patients and 52 staff and families. 
4. St Martin included 122 persons in the County Asylum (The Lawn), of whom 74 were inmates and 48 were staff and families. 
5. Small Pox Hospital on Holmes Common had 2 persons in it. 6. St Nicholas included 192 persons in the Prison, of whom 156 were inmates and 36 were staff and families. There is no mention of barracks. 
7. St Paul included 239 persons in the Workhouse, of whom 225 were inmates and 14 were staff and families, therefore normal population was 1,200. 
8. According to Hill, 97 persons were in the Castle Dykings area, but I have not found this in the Report (Sir Francis Hill, Victorian Lincoln, 1974, appendix).